Wikipedia:Help Desk - My Uh Portal Login

Wikipedia:Help desk  - my uh portal login

March 19

Wikipedia:Help desk  - my uh portal login
VE help, please

I've just uploaded File:Craig County Courthouse, New Castle.jpg and have been using it to replace File:Craig County VA courthouse.jpg across various wikis, since the new photo shows the whole building rather than about half of it. I've succeeded in replacing most of its uses, but I'm having trouble with some wikis that use VE as the default â€" I can edit pages in languages that I can't read because I know which buttons do what, but since I don't know how to use VE, I can't edit these pages. Could someone familiar with VE edit the following pages?

  • ar:مقاطعة كريغ (فيرجينيا)
  • fa:شهرستان کریگ، ویرجینیا

Thanks! Nyttend (talk) 00:28, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

You can switch to source editing from inside VisualEditor on the pencil icon at the top right (top left in right-to-left languages). PrimeHunter (talk) 00:46, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
Thank you; this enabled me to succeed in switching the photos. Nyttend (talk) 01:46, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Help desk  - my uh portal login
Problem editing Apartheid

Any attempt to edit Apartheid seems to be rejected. The reason given is that the article contains a new link to banned site econlib.org (or something close -- I may have gotten it wrong. The edits I have attmpted don't include anything remotely close to that. Can somebody find out what's wrong and fix it? In the See also section, I was trying to add a wikilink to Born a Crime. Lou Sander (talk) 04:31, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

I can't explain what's going on. When I try to do the same thing (both with my non-admin sock and my main account), I get MediaWiki:Spamprotectiontext and a warning about econlib.org, even though that URL isn't in the page text. Nyttend (talk) 04:59, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
Even weirder: I removed econlib from the spam blacklist and then tried to insert the link, and even then I got rejected because my edit added "econlib.org". Time for a Phabricator bug request? In case you wonder, I've restored the blacklist entry for econlib. Nyttend (talk) 05:03, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
@Nyttend: In my experience it can take a little time before edits to pages in the MediaWiki namespace are reflected by the software. Unlike template edits this delay also affects actions performed after the edit. PrimeHunter (talk) 11:24, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
  •  Done. Added Born a Crime to the See Also section (post the work of Nyttend in removing econlib.org from the blacklist; the link was mentioned within the article in two places). Thanks. Lourdes 07:27, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Help desk  - my uh portal login
Editing my Wikipedia Page

Hi,

I was in the process of creating a new Wikipedia page. I had not put up the page for review yet on Wikipedia and it has never been published. Yet, I can no longer find where the article that I was editing was. Can someone please help?

Thanks, 10:34, 19 March 2017 (UTC) â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Croosing Social (talk • contribs)

@Croosing Social: Hello, I think it is at Draft:Croosing. Your username might indicate that you have a connection to the subject and you should therefore read WP:COI and possibly WP:PAID. Please sign your posts on talk pages by typing four tildes (~~~~). Thank you. Eagleash (talk) 10:38, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
@Croosing Social: Please note there is no such thing like 'your Wikipedia page' â€" there may exist a page created by you or a page about you, but none of them would be 'your'. See Wikipedia:Ownership of content. --CiaPan (talk) 14:31, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Help desk  - my uh portal login
Turning the name of my sandbox into the name of my article

Hello, I've created a wikipedia entry through my "sandbox", and submitted it for review, but I can't edit the title of the page which is "User:Carlasmar007/sandbox"... How do I turn the name of my sandbox into the name of my article ? â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Carlasmar007 (talk • contribs) 12:56, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

What is the name you want to change the title to? Jarkeld (talk) 13:05, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

Official Information Act 1997 â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Carlasmar007 (talk • contribs) 13:19, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

I've renamed the article and moved it to the proper namespace (Draft) where it will be reviewed in due time. Jarkeld (talk) 13:24, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

Thank you very much ! â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Carlasmar007 (talk • contribs) 13:25, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Help desk  - my uh portal login
Size of Wikipedia

Dear editors: At WP:Statistics, I have found graphs and tables showing the number of edits to Wikipedia over time, and the growth in the number of articles over time. There's also information about the current size of the encyclopedia. I haven't been able to find, though, what to me is an obvious metric, a graph or table showing the growth of the total size of all of the articles in the encyclopedia over time, or the amount of increase during various time periods. Can someone point me to this? Thanks.â€"Anne Delong (talk) 14:34, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

https://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/ChartsWikipediaEN.htm#3 shows "Combined size of all articles" but only until January 2010. PrimeHunter (talk) 14:47, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
Thanks, PrimeHunter. I wonder why that particular statistic is no longer being kept. IMO it's a better indicator of the health of the project than number of edits or number of articles, because the more articles there are, the more time is spent improving the existing ones, and as editors gain experience they accomplish more with fewer edits than when they first joined. Anyway, I hadn't seen that report, so thanks again.â€"Anne Delong (talk) 22:31, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Help desk  - my uh portal login
Family of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge

Please restore a pic title "Olive Middleton....". which was removed from this page at 18.35 on March 19th for no reason at all. This is vandalism, or accidental removal of a file by another editor - not me.

Also, this editor - Esmgee - seems to insist ofn being longwinded: she refuses to say e.g. that the wife of Albert Kitson, 2nd Baron Airedale is Baroness Airedale - even though all of the newspaper reports and other citations give the woman her title. I believe that the text should be written as "Florence, Baroness Airedale" which is her correct title - with a link to the page of her husband. Thankyou Srbernadette (talk) 22:35, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

The place for such discussions is on the talk page of the article (Talk:Family of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge), or on the user talk page of the editor concerned, but not here at the help desk. The edit was obviously not vandalism. --David Biddulph (talk) 22:40, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
@Srbernadette: Have you asked Esemgee why they removed it? [1] --NeilN talk to me 22:41, 19 March 2017 (UTC)
As a side note, WP:HONORIFIC states that such titles do not belong in the body of the text after their first use. But yeah, content disputes are not in the purview of the help desk. --Majora (talk) 22:42, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

Thanks - I understand that titles - WP:HONORIFIC - should be mentioned initially , and then only a surname is used. Esemgee has said that titles are simply "name dropping" and does not use them at all - not even initially. (see Lupton family page "talk"). I have used the correct title initially as advised byWP:HONORIFIC . Thanks Srbernadette (talk) 23:17, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

Sorry, I have stuffed up the format - there is now a huge space with no text in the "Michael Francis Middleton" section. Please alter if able. Thanks Srbernadette (talk) 23:48, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

No there isn't and please stop creating new sections every time you ask a question about the same topic. Edit the same section please. --Majora (talk) 23:54, 19 March 2017 (UTC)

Please Majora, I do not mean to upset the editors - but opposite the file of the lady in her coronation robes there remains a vast space, a void - no text at all. The next section should be raised up we think. I cannot work out how to do this. I am sorry for getting things wrong. Srbernadette (talk) 00:31, 20 March 2017 (UTC) Thanks

As I've already stated. There is nothing wrong with the page. Period. The problem is on your end and therefore we cannot help you. As for the "we think" what exactly does that mean? You realize that shared accounts are strictly forbidden right? The use of the word "we" indicates that multiple people are in control of this one account. --Majora (talk) 00:41, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

No, no, I work at an educational institution and I have undergraduates who are always interested in the edits - no "shared accounts". We are surprised how odd the page looks - with the void section - on desk top compared with phones - that's all. I do not mean to alarm you. Thank you again Srbernadette (talk) 00:45, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

My Mistake - sorry - my own laptop has it all looking OK. the college laptops are struggling with the format. This has happened before. Sorry to upset the Wikipedia editors.Srbernadette (talk) 00:49, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Dear Srbernadette. Thanks so much for responding! I really appreciate it; and understand your situation. Please do not feel the need to "apologize" to the Wikipedia editors. Just because one editor chooses to use the word "we" does not make them representative of WP as a whole; since there are editors who do not share their opinions, biting nature and constant need to hound rather than help. I did notice the "space" next to the image and how it could have been seen as such. A simple request of better understanding and question of further explanation could have cleared this matter up without the hostile exchange that was unwarranted, once again. This tactic has played itself out and is without merit, Majora. "We" are getting tired of seeing your clutter more than Srbernadette's. Re-visit the Talk Page if you are still having problems. Otherwise: move along. Maineartists (talk) 01:04, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
Aw...hilarious. I was just attempting to make sure they were following the policy for user accounts. Telling me to move along is certainly not in your power. So...yeah. Not going to happen. --Majora (talk) 01:06, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
I'm glad you find this so amusing. A bit sad, though ... as for "power": who uses that terminology? Good Lord, what are you wearing? a power rangers suit? ... perspective, dude. Maineartists (talk) 01:15, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

March 20

Wikipedia:Help desk  - my uh portal login
edit request

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulmonary_alveolar_proteinosis

current list of symptoms includes "weight loss' - this IS NOT TRUE

I have the disease, and due to many years of lack of oxygen to my body, it has caused damage to my other organs and I have subsequently developed other critical illnesses as a result of this - and many of these illnesses CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN - also, not being able to exercise sufficiently (due to low energy and passing out - all from lack of oxygen) also results in increased weight gain. â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by 68.175.78.81 (talk) 01:04, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

User talk:68.175.78.81: Please note, first of all, that Wikipedia does not give medical advice. Specifically, this disclaimer says: "There is absolutely no assurance that any statement contained or cited in an article touching on medical matters is true, correct, precise, or up-to-date." That said, the article does need additional references to support its content, including the issue you mentioned. But please understand that Wikipedia does not change articles based only a message from an anonymous source. If you know of a published reliable source that supports what you have said, you can either edit the article directly and add the reference, or make a suggestion on the article Talk page. DonFB (talk) 02:23, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Help desk  - my uh portal login
Family of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge

It is a new day so I hope that this is in the right section. Please add English Landed gentry families - not just "English families" - in the category box at the end. It is most relevant Thanks as always Srbernadette (talk) 01:48, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

The closest match would be Category:English gentry families which has been added. --Majora (talk) 01:52, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Wikipedia:Help desk  - my uh portal login
The NBA Standings Are Suppose To Say 2016-17 not 2015-16

When I change the Standings say 2016-17 Not 2015-16 that problem needs to be fixed now. 68.102.39.189 (talk) 02:34, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Are you referring to your changes to {{2015â€"16 NBA East standings}}? As the template name clearly says, it's for 2015â€"16 standings. The template is transcluded in many articles about that season.[2] Don't change the content to 2016-17. That's what {{2016â€"17 NBA East standings}} is for. PrimeHunter (talk) 02:54, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

This is not 2015-16 template standings it's 2016-17 But when will it change. 68.102.39.189 (talk) 13:36, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Which page do you want to change? PrimeHunter (talk) 15:02, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Page count history

How can I find out approximately how many pages existed on English WP when I joined?--TonyTheTiger (T / C / WP:FOUR / WP:CHICAGO / WP:WAWARD) 05:20, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

  • Total articles on Wikipedia from 2005 till 2016. Lourdes 09:59, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Robert Geoffrey Elwes (Writer and Playwright) Biography

Hope somebody now puts Publisher Review kindly up on Wikipedia.

It is accurate Biography with sources checked at Landesbibliothek Vorarlberg.

Thank you Mackintoosh (talk) 08:44, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

I have put some useful links on your user talk page. In particular you need to read Help:Referencing for beginners and the advice at WP:Your first article. --David Biddulph (talk) 09:32, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Armagh

This article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_Archdiocese_of_Armagh has reams of text without any citations; however, there are two minor references at the foot of the article, which is why I assume the article has not attracted the lacking citations banner at the top. Does this mean I have to go through the article and tag each section as lacking citations (at section level), or is an article level banner appropriate here?Clivemacd (talk) 13:24, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Clivemacd It would not make for a good article to place all the inline citation needed tags within this article, as they would be numerous throughout. This article does warrant a Citation Need banner at the top if you wish to place one. It would make for a better article. Maineartists (talk) 13:33, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
The article text is almost entirely from the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia, a public domain source, and this is noted at the foot of the article. -- John of Reading (talk) 13:46, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

How to "cancel" a user warning?

Three parties here: Original editor, undoing editor, and redoing editor (me). I just noticed (in Linköping Bloodbath, and then Åbo Bloodbath) a mistaken undo of a justified and constructive edit. I spoke on the talk page and convinced the undoing editor the original edit should stand, then went and redid them.

But there are some user warnings on the original editor's talk page (who I have not spoken to yet), which are unjustified. I could just delete them, but then the apology I wrote for their existence would be lacking context.

Is there some way to mark the warnings as struck out/overruled/dismissed on appeal? I don't know how much of this the original editor has seen yet. 71.41.210.146 (talk) 15:58, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Hello, IP user. I don't know if there are specific guidelines for this case; but in general if you want to show that something on a talk page is no longer applicable, you can strike it through by adding <s> before and </s> after. So <s>this text</s> displays as this text. --ColinFine (talk) 00:53, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

Adding nowrap to a convert statement

I am using this statement 16.5 million hectares (41 million acres) to convert 16.5 million hectares to acres. What and how do I add to insure that the answer will not wrap in an "awkward" place. I've tried a number of things to no avail.
I know that there is a way to show the statement without going into edit mode but I can't figure out how to write it. Thank you Bobdog54 (talk) 16:53, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
The way to show it is to precede the code with <nowiki> and follow it with </nowiki>, hence {{Convert|16.5|ha|acre|disp=preunit|million }}. I'll let someone else answer the nowrap question. --David Biddulph (talk) 17:03, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
I will try it and see what happens. Thank you Bobdog54 (talk) 21:15, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
I'm not sure if Template:Nowrap will work with a template as the argument but it's worth a look and probably, at the least, a point in the right direction. †dismas†|(talk) 17:18, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
I tried the Template:Nowrap a couple of different ways and it seemed to make no impression on the statement. I will try again now that I know that the statement itself works. Thank you Bobdog54 (talk) 21:15, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

page deletion alert

STREM HQ (edit | visual edit | history) · Article talk (edit | history) · Watch

hello, i just started creating the page and have more information to be put in there, how i can stop the deletion before i start adding info? â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Stremhq (talk • contribs) 16:57, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Stremhq, read WP:MFA for guidance Jimfbleak - talk to me? 17:03, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
(edit conflict)Hello, unfortunately, the page has already been deleted as being very short and failing to demonstrate why the subject is worthy of an entry in the encyclopedia. This is a difficulty with creating articles directly in the 'mainspace'. It is probably better to build the article in 'draftspace' and move it once completed. The best way to do this is probably via WP:WIZARD which will help to start the page. In this instance you could ask the deleting admin. @Anthony Bradbury: if they would be prepared to restore the page and transfer it to draftspace for you. Good luck. Eagleash (talk) 17:09, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Thank you ! Will Do :) Stremhq (talk) 17:22, 20 March 2017 (UTC)stremhq

@Anthony Bradbury - Can you please restore and move my page to draftspace, so i can make necessary edits and add information. Thanks! Stremhq (talk) 17:24, 20 March 2017 (UTC)stremhq

@Stremhq: You might be better off going to Anthony Bradbury's talk page, in case he does not see this thread. For future reference to attract an editor's attention in a discussion you would need to type {{ping|username}} which will produce the '@' message. The 'ping' must be included in a new message (it cannot be added later). See WP:PING for more info. Eagleash (talk) 22:26, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Help review

Checking my watched pages I noticed one marked with a red r. Floating over it I found that meanr review wanted for that edit. I checked and found that it was a triviality, but could not find how to mark it as OK. I tried Help:review, but no dice. Any advice or links please? Or am I simply not authorised to review? Thank ia JonRichfield (talk) 19:17, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

@JonRichfield: You are probably looking for Wikipedia:Reviewing pending changes. Your account doesn't have the "reviewer" permission, but a post at Wikipedia:Requests for permissions/Pending changes reviewer could put that right. -- John of Reading (talk) 19:29, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
The red r is made when users enable ORES at Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-betafeatures. PrimeHunter (talk) 19:45, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Thank you both. @John of Reading: is there a shortage of permitted reviewers? If not, I'd rather stick to editing, but if it is a bottleneck problem I could volunteer. JonRichfield (talk) 18:22, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

@JonRichfield: I don't think so. The history of User:DatBot/pendingbacklog shows there are usually only about ten pages waiting for this kind of review. -- John of Reading (talk) 20:13, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

Bon Scott, Angus Young and Malcolm Young from ACDC

Hello,

I tried to correct the information on the respective pages stating that the aforementioned are/were Australian. They were all born in Scotland by Scottish parents and spent the first 6, 8 and 11 years of their lives as Scottish. They may have/have had Australian passports and accents but they are still Scottish. Your page does not state that. I just conducted a poll on a Bon Scott forum and a huge majority said he was Scottish.

Best regards,

Innes Forbes â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by 87.142.103.211 (talk) 20:22, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

You've answered your own question: "They may have Australian passports..." â€" therefore they're Australian. There's nothing further to say. They are ('were' in Scott's case) naturalised Australians. That they were all born in Scotland is clearly stated in each article, both in the infoboxes and in the text, but that does not mean they were British citizens. Their Scottish ethnicity is not pertinent to the lead paragraph of the articles as per WP:OPENPARA#Context. Bretonbanquet (talk) 22:14, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Why were the changes I made gone from the page?

Good afternoon,

I recently made a lot of edits on the "cougar-slang" page. The original text provided no scientific evidence to support its many claims, which is in itself very problematic. Furthermore, the tone of the text was at time sexist. I spent hours re-writing the text, making sure to add scientific sources for each of the points I made. But all of my edits are gone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cougar_(slang)

Could you please explain to me why my edits were not accepted?

Thank you â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Milaine a (talk • contribs) 20:43, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

You can look at the history. Ruslik_Zero 20:51, 20 March 2017 (UTC)
A problem with that article (not its content, its existence) is that it's about a word. Wikipedia is not a dictionary. Milaine a is not the only editor who has contributed content to it which is not about the slang word, but about the general phenomenon it describes. But as explained at WP:NAD, the article doesn't belong here at all. I have templated it for copying to Wiktionary. I would also mark it for deletion, but I don't know what template applies. Maproom (talk) 22:02, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Elie A. F. LaVallette page...Descendant

I'm a descendant of Rear Admiral LaVallette and found a photo and a 200-year old letter from him to his wife, sent from the U.S. Frigate Hampton Roads, dated 1819 (I also found a photo of his grandsons; my great uncles). Would like to see his photo on his Wikipedia page but don't know how to submit it. I've scanned it to jpg. Thanks. I don't have ten edits to add! The info is fine; just want to add the picture. â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Lizrader (talk • contribs) 23:28, 20 March 2017 (UTC)

Lizrader, anything you upload to Wikimedia Commons (Tools--->Upload File) must be completely free, either as Public Domain, or explicitly licensed by the copyright owner for free use. The Upload Wizard on Commons will show you the choices for licensing. If you have too few edits to qualify as an uploader, use the Random Article link at left a few times (while logged-in as Lizrader) and make some useful spelling or grammar corrections; you'll soon have enough edits to qualify. When performing an upload, make note of the exact name of the image file; you'll need the name when you add a photo to an article; learn how to do that at WP:PIC. DonFB (talk) 05:01, 21 March 2017 (UTC) One more thing that may help (or overload) you: WP:Uploading_images. -- Don
  • @Lizrader: I highly doubt that the photograph dates back to 1819.
However, if it is indeed a photograph of Elie A. F. La Vallette (who died in 1862 according to our article), then it is public domain in the United States and eligible for Wikimedia Commons. Go to https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:UploadWizard and follow the steps; it will put the photograph on the Wikimedia's Foundation server. Afterwards, you can include it in the article Elie A. F. La Vallette by filling the | image = key in the {{Infobox military person}} template in the article (i.e. putting | image = (the name of the photograph you uploaded).jpg). TigraanClick here to contact me 08:53, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

March 21

Changing things all around an article - make one big edit or multiple small edits?

When editing a large article with many problems (i.e, typos, mistranslations, formatting errors, etc.), should I make these one big edit, with no edit summary, or several smaller edits, each with their own summaries?

Also, since this is my first time at the help desk, can these policies be applied to other-language Wikipedias, or only the English Wikipedia? â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Tymewalk (talk • contribs) 00:00, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

@Tymewalk: You should always use edit summaries regardless of the size of the edit. That is just good practice and helps other editors know what you are doing. As for small vs large, it depends. If it is a high trafficked page you might run into an edit conflict and lose all your work. Personally, I like the small edit approach as it allows me to work on it over time and not be rushed into completing it. You can also put an {{in use}} tag on the top before you start if you plan on taking a long time to edit the page. That way potential edit conflicts would be reduced. As for other projects, I wouldn't be able to tell you. Each project is different with their own styles and procedures. We wouldn't be much help on that front. --Majora (talk) 00:06, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

user gilliam help help

I tried and tried but could not get my info out of the above talk comment and need help fixing this problem. thank you. â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Noonezero (talk • contribs) 09:47, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

You have been asking Gilliam for help on the talk page User_talk:Gilliam. I'm sure that administrator will consider your request, but it sounds rather confused. You are welcome to come back here, but please explain your problem again. Dbfirs 10:09, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

Using wiki common images for a small commercial project

I am totally new to using images with copyright concerns. My lecture for a psychotherapy training in London is going to be filmed so that it can be shown in Bristol as an on line resource. Trainees will pay a fee to do the course although I am not paid a fee for preparing the lecture, only to give it. Can I use Wiki commons images without fear of infringing copyright?

Thanks Carol 11:11, 21 March 2017 (UTC)~ â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Carolleader (talk • contribs)

Yes, as long as you properly attribute the work to Wikimedia Commons and its author. Pppery 11:15, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
Hello, Carolleader. Please see commons:commons:REUSE for advice on how to do this. --ColinFine (talk) 12:18, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
(edit conflict) Hello Carolleader. I think Pppery's answer can be misleading. Any material on Wikipedia except some images is under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license. So, there are two things.
The most important thing is that you need to check the copyright status of the image you are using. For instance, this album cover is on Wikipedia but basically under a "fair use" rationale which you could probably not use it for your purpose. On the other hand, this map is in the public domain, and hence can be used in even less restrictive conditions than the CC-BY-SA. See the license description under the file on a case-by-case basis.
Also, the CC-BY-SA imposes not only a "BY" clause to acknowledge the original author (as Pppery describes it) but also an "SA" (share-alike) clause that any redistribution of the material should be under a license that is at least as permissive. You should check with your employer or their legal department what this means; we will not give you legal advice, but I think this means that trainees could (for instance) put the film of the lecture on Youtube, distribute it among their friends, etc. without having to pay royalties - which your employer may object to. Again, check that with a professional. TigraanClick here to contact me 12:24, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
Carolleader said "wiki common images" and "Wiki commons images". If this means Wikimedia Commons images hosted at https://commons.wikimedia.org and often displayed in Wikipedia articles then the fair-use license of some images hosted here at https://en.wikipedia.org should not be a concern. Wikimedia Commons does not allow fair-use images and other images without a sufficiently free license, but some users upload them anyway. If you link the images then we may be able to check whether the license looks valid. PrimeHunter (talk) 14:33, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

How do I edit references once they have been created

Please advise - I have created a number of references - I need to correct them - how do I edit a reference? â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Vgaidash (talk • contribs) 13:59, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

@Vgaidash: Code like {{cite web|...}} uses a template documented at Template:cite web. You can edit the code directly. PrimeHunter (talk) 14:21, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
If you use "Edit source", you will find the refs between <ref>...</ref> tags. As PrimeHunter notes, the template documentation describes what each field does. For instance, change "|title=Mr." to "|title=Business Structure" to change the title that appears with the reference. (If you are using "Edit" (the visual editor), just click on the reference and the reference editor should pop up.) Herostratus (talk) 14:46, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

Our copyright status

Can't really find the right place for this question--what, if anything, do we do about sites that copy is without attribution? I keep seeing The Vintage News go by on Facebook, and much of their content is simply yanked from Wikipedia, sometimes with minor rephrasing (and errors introduced), and never credited--the other day it was this story, which the careful reader will find to be stolen from Onfim; I recognized it cause I wrote it. I'm about to email contact@thevintagenews.com , but I was wondering if this has come up before or if anyone (Moonriddengirl?) has experience with it. Thanks, Drmies (talk) 15:33, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

  • Update: a site administrator said they took it down. Moonriddengirl, I copied you on my email and so did he. This is interesting--please let me know what you, or any other community member, thinks about all this. Drmies (talk) 17:31, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
I personally disagree with people wholesale pilfering information from Wikipedia without attribution, seeing all the fine lines and balance beams we editors must walk re: close paraphrasing, CCBYSA, copyvios etc. Nothing wrong with getting facts from wikipedia (looking at you childish Daily Mail), but larceny entire sections is. L3X1 (distant write) 17:57, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
L3X1, there's a lot wrong with getting facts from wikipedia, and nobody should ever be using Wikipedia as a primary source for anything, let alone other media sources. That disclaimer on every page, and the dire-warning pages of Wikipedia:Researching with Wikipedia and Wikipedia:Citing Wikipedia, exist for a reason. â€' Iridescent 18:01, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
  • The policy is (in excruciatingly dull detail) at Wikipedia:Mirrors and forks; the TLDR version is that copying Wikipedia without attribution is A Bad Thing and technically illegal, but there's not a great deal we can do. ("Much of their content is simply yanked from Wikipedia, sometimes with minor rephrasing (and errors introduced), and never credited" describes a significant chunk of the world's media. Not that I'd recommend doing such a thing, you understand, but you can test it for yourself by introducing a piece of intentionally weird phrasing into a little-watched article that you know is going to be the topic of increased interest shortlyâ€"obscure East European football teams drawn against big English teams are usually a safe betâ€"and googling a couple of weeks later to see how much it's propagated around the world's press.) â€' Iridescent 17:58, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
  • Thanks Iridescent. They said they took it down, but it was still there via Facebook. I didn't even want them to take it down, necessarily--I just wanted them to give us proper credit for it. Drmies (talk) 01:57, 22 March 2017 (UTC)

Subrahmanya Saastri,

Please help post this article in Wikipedia as any other article appears. I finished writing it. Remove my name and sandbox on the page of contribution. The link is below. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:CSHN_Murthy/sandbox CSHN Murthy (talk) 15:40, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

  • Sorry, CSHN Murthy, thank you for your contribution, but in its current state I cannot do that. Please see Wikipedia:Your first article. Your draft does not cite reliable sources and is poorly organized (lacking even paragraphing). Cullen328, I don't know how to move a sandbox into draft/review space; perhaps you do? Drmies (talk) 16:13, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
I can move it using Twinkle L3X1 (distant write) 17:05, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
Moved to Draft:Subrahmanya_Saastri L3X1 (distant write) 17:25, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

MY CSD Log is not automatically updating

I CSD several articles yesterday, but in my contributions noticed my CSD log wasn't being updated. Is this because I am using page curation instead of Twinkle? I thought I had to put something in my common.js, but it it not there, and I cannot find any instruction for creating a CSD log. Thanks L3X1 (distant write) 16:42, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

Ah, it is twinkle only. Is there anyway to make Page curation nomination add to this? L3X1 (distant write) 16:44, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

Archive bot configuration

The WP:SPEAK project talk page is using the outdated miszabotII archive not that is no longer functional, there are a lot of things that haven't been archived in a few years, I just joined this project two days ago and it isn't very active, I figure the best way for a new start is to have all of the old stuff archived. I can't figure out how to set up the lowercase sigmabot III bot or what to do with the old archives. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Spoken_Wikipedia Please help!! ThatGirlTayler (talk) 18:26, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

entry created about me - incorrect

The wiki profile created of me is out-dated and inaccurate. I have tried twice to edit it but am unable. I'd like to delete it and create a new one myself (I have no idea where the existing one came from).

many thanks â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Sbissell (talk • contribs) 18:29, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

@Sbissell: Can you tell us the exact name of the article you are referring to? Also, you may want to have a look at Wikipedia's conflict of interest guidelines which has some information for individuals who have biographies about them on Wikipeda that you might find helpful. Deli nk (talk) 18:40, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
You can point out inaccuracies on the talk page of the article, and suggest improvements. Let us know which article, then we can make the corrections. Dbfirs 21:23, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

Talk on Wikipedia Page for Simon Lee (Academic)

I would like to draw attention to some content on the page of Simon Lee (Academic). The talk page contains a substantial amount of material that might be considered libellous, and certainly does not appear to be balanced. I have attempted to remove some of this, as it is public domain, but have been advised by what appears to be an editor that this can not be done. If I cannot do it then perhaps you might as it is certainly offensive to me, would probably be to the subject if aware of it, and is in the public domain. whilst historical, and covering a contentious period, it remains damaging and at the very least defamatory.

Thank you. â€" Preceding unsigned comment added by Sebastian.newdigate1 (talk • contribs) 19:02, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

Hello Sebastian.newdigate1 Generally comments on talk pages are left in an as-is state, unless they contain foul langauge or are trolling/vandalism/other wise malicious. In this case the material is Key23's (appears to be a SPA) opinion from 2009 and Stuartmoss's from 2010, so I don't think it can be considered libellious. L3X1 (distant write) 19:18, 21 March 2017 (UTC)
Comments that old should probably be archived but that fact that they have been there for seven or eight years. WP:TPO notes the very narrow parameters for deleting other people's comments and states that an edit summary explaining the actions is necessary. That didn't happen here. The reasoning that the content was offensive to you doesn't work. Wikipedia is not censored. Another policy, WP:MULTIPLE, states that if you are using multiple accounts you should identify them as such. I assume there is a connection between Sebastian.newdigate1 and Sebastian Newdigate. Justeditingtoday (talk) 22:08, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

List of philosophers

[Post removed] 173.191.31.102 (talk) 19:17, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

You also posted this to Wikipedia:Teahouse#May I be added to the List(s) of Philosophers? You can look for answers there. Please only post in one place. PrimeHunter (talk) 19:36, 21 March 2017 (UTC)

Template question: View & Talk links showing up red

I've create a new template: Template:Army_Group_Rear_Area_(Wehrmacht). However, the "V" (view) and "T" (talk) links are showing up as red, not blue. Not sure how to fix this. K.e.coffman (talk) 00:26, 22 March 2017 (UTC)

It may be because the '(Wehrmacht)' is missing from the name parameter. Eagleash (talk) 00:32, 22 March 2017 (UTC)
That was it! Thank you. K.e.coffman (talk) 00:34, 22 March 2017 (UTC)

Is this archive bot set up right?

I just set up a new archive bot to replace the old one, but so far nothing has happened. Can someone with more experience please check to see if it is set up right? It's located at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Spoken Wikipedia ThatGirlTayler (talk) 00:48, 22 March 2017 (UTC)

@ThatGirlTayler: The archiving bot only runs once a day so give it time. Come back in a few days if it hasn't archived. I changed a couple of unreasonable parameters but they probably wouldn't have prevented archiving. PrimeHunter (talk) 01:33, 22 March 2017 (UTC)
@PrimeHunter: Thank you so much!! I Really appreciate it. ThatGirlTayler (talk) 02:14, 22 March 2017 (UTC)

March 22

2017-18 NBA team season template

Can You move the template from the talk to draft. 68.102.39.189 (talk) 01:16, 22 March 2017 (UTC)

How to flip tabes

Does anyone know how to flip the tables at National Football League Coach of the Year Award. I want the oldest year to come first. Currently, the most recent year comes first. WikiOriginal-9 (talk) 02:29, 22 March 2017 (UTC)

I think the tables are 'sortable', so if you click the arrows they reverse the order; so it is up to the reader how they display. Or have I misunderstood the question? :P Eagleash (talk) 02:40, 22 March 2017 (UTC)
That is the way I want them to display but I want to display that way withing having to click the table. WikiOriginal-9 (talk) 02:47, 22 March 2017 (UTC)
(edit conflict) Mobile users and users without JavaScript don't have sortable tables. And sortable tables initially display in the source order. This initial order cannot be changed. The source code has to be reversed. I don't know whether there are useful tools to help with this. PrimeHunter (talk) 02:49, 22 March 2017 (UTC)
Copy the table to an excel document, reorder the document in the way that you want and use a tool that converts excel tables to wikitables.Naraht (talk) 04:02, 22 March 2017 (UTC)

0 komentar: